Monday 16 January 2012

MLK: Taking Stock

No work today. In the U.S. it's the day to celebrate the Reverend Martin Luther King, Jr.'s birthday. Lower down is a view of the MLK memorial on the Mall in Washington, D.C. 
'Out of the Mountain of Despair, a Stone of Hope' (Photo courtesy of Wikipedia Commons)
We lost some great ones in the 60s. Malcolm X. Jack and Bobby. But I think Dr. King's death hit me hardest. [Cheap little white trash hick James Earl Ray thought he'd make a name for himself and stop the movement at the same time.] Meaning no disrespect to John F. Kennedy, I hold that Dr. King's was just the second assassination to have deprived the U.S. of a great leader. Lincoln's was the first. 

So, it's a day for 'taking stock.' I'm reciting the litany of advantages I've been given in this life, and thinking of the ones who haven't been and aren't, even now, so lucky. I'm sure Dr. King would have wanted us to carry on with our usual routine, being mindful all the while that the struggle goes on without him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.